Pages

1.29.2014

Creating OER Text with CK-12


 






One of the resources that I've been using for my math class this term is CK-12. CK-12 is a nonprofit foundation supporting OER for STEM subjects, with content from elementary to high school level. On the student side of their website, students can complete assessments and lessons, access text and videos, and work on interactive activities. Teachers can not only access these materials, but edit files or create new materials from scratch.

I've been using the CK-12 textbook resources for both of my math classes. CK-12 calls their texts "Flexbooks," because there are a number of options for selecting, editing, and downloading texts, and I've tried a few different things. On one end of the spectrum, you can access and print or download full textbooks that have been created by other educators. There are dozens of Flexbooks on the site - almost 20 just for Algebra alone. For each subject, there are generally a variety of basic, standard, and advanced  level texts, as well as texts in Spanish. Some are better than others, but they are all generally high quality. Some have answer keys; many do not. Flexbooks can be copied, printed, and downloaded as pdf's or ereader files - you just have to include the attribution page for each file if you plan to distribute it. On the other end of the spectrum, the site has tools so that you can upload and create your own text, completely from scratch. (Texts must be approved by CK-12 before being shared publicly on the site.)

I have two Flexbooks that I've selected for use with my algebra and geometry classes, though I sometimes I will use a section from a different text if I like that particular section better than the one in my Flexbook. (You can search the site by topic to find stand-alone copies of text, quizzes, activities and other study materials.) Flexbooks are divided up into lessons which can be downloaded individually; I usually select a section for a lesson I'm going to teach, edit it to remove references to content we haven't yet covered or that I don't want to cover and make any desired adjustments to the problem sets. I then save my edit and download the lesson file as a pdf. I've been posting the pdf's to Moodle so that students can access the files as a reference; sometimes they are required to read the section for class.

I have also used some of the online activities on CK-12 (interactive quizzes, etc.), but I've found that I have to preview them before directing students to them, as some are glitchy or simply don't load correctly. Another resource that my students have found really useful is a series of study guides, which are two-page summaries of important concepts, suitable for printing out and keeping in a binder.

Overall, I've found CK-12 to be a great resource for basic OER math texts - the site is easy to navigate, stocked with a good variety of resources, and pretty reliable. If you're looking for a math or science text, give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment