Pages

2.09.2014

Sharing Resources: Study Blue

One of my colleagues is now teaching the Core Reading class that I've been teaching for the last few terms, and we were discussing vocabulary study a few weeks ago. She's had the same struggles with her students that I had with mine around vocabulary - despite trying a variety of vocabulary practice exercises and context work with her students, they were not performing well when it came to quiz time. We were comparing notes on the activities, exercises, and study tools that we had used with our students, and one tool that I had used that she had not was Study Blue.

We did a quick tutorial together - she quickly set up an account, and we created a couple of sample flashcards. We also went over joining classes, sharing cards, and the other review materials that Study Blue provides. I explained how I used Study Blue in class to set up cards and teach students to use the system, then gradually gave students responsibility for creating their own cards.

This past week, my colleague told me that her students had done much better on their last vocabulary quizzes. I'm sure that using a resource like Study Blue is only one small contributor to this - most likely, students are benefiting from practice with the study of vocabulary and with the various study tools they're developing for vocabulary. But, I do think that for some students, digital tools like Study Blue are effective, and all students need exposure to a number of study tools and techniques so that they can find and develop study skills that work for them.


No comments:

Post a Comment