Pages

2.08.2014

Video Series: Exponent Rules. Still Learning...

We recently spent some time working on exponent rules in my Math 4 class, so I decided to make some explanatory videos covering the rules we practiced in class. My students already had several resources to help them learn exponent rules - links to Khan Academy videos, textbook sections from CK12, and a CK12 study guide on exponent rules. I decided to supplement these other resources with my own videos because a couple students seemed to really struggle with the various rules, and some of those same students have said that they've had a hard time with the Khan Academy videos. I'm hoping that they'll have an easier with videos in which I explain concepts the same way that I explain them in class.

I made this series of videos with Screencast-o-matic and Smoothdraw 4, a free program that does a pretty good job with freehand drawing and handwriting (it's the same program that Sal Khan started with). I think I've got my video-making workflow down pretty well, but I still occasionally have some issues with pen skips or stray marks on the screen. Also, I notice that when I upload my videos to YouTube, some of the videos look a little fuzzy when played fullscreen. I'm not sure what to do about this, as I am recording at the "Full HD" setting. Ideas?

The exponent rule videos are available on my YouTube channel - enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment